Omega 3 acids
Omega 3 acids are critically important for proper functioning of the whole organism. They constitute a unique building material for our cells. Thanks to them, the cell membrane operates better, which enhances all the vital processes. They stimulate numerous vital processes. Omega 3 acids synthesize biologically active substances crucial for the regulation of the operation of cardiovascular system, central and peripheral nervous system, the alimentary tract, the respiratory system, kidneys and sexual organs. Omega 3 deficiencies cause impaired operation of many internal organs, an increased susceptibility to infections, and skin diseases.
Omega 3 acids belong to a group of necessary unsaturated fatty acids. Our organism is not able to make fatty acids, thus, they need to be provided in food. There are three types of Omega 3 fatty acids that play a role in human biology:
- α-linolenic acid ALA – appearing in vegetable oils – e.g. in flaxseed oil and cannabis oil;
- eicosapentaenoic acid EPA and docosahexaenoic acid DHA – appearing in marine fish oils – e.g. squid oil or krill oil.
Our organism synthesizes EPA and DHA acids from ALA acid with the use of vitamins B3, B6, C as well as zinc and magnesium. We shall remember that Omega 3 acids are very unstable, easily affected by light or temperature. That is why, oils with a high content of Omega 3 acids shall be stored in the fridge, in a sealed package and they shall be consumed cold.
Proportions are MOST IMPORTANT:
For good health and wellbeing it is important to maintain a balanced relation between Omega 6 (commonly appearing in our diet) and Omega 3. Research shows that the best relation between Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids is about 2:1 up to 6:1. Unfortunately, the diet of an average Pole does not meet such requirements. On average, we exceed the standards by ten times!
Why are those proportions so important?
Omega 6 acids although they belong to the group of necessary unsaturated fatty acids and they play a very important function in our organism, when appearing in excess, they enhance the production of pro-inflammatory hormones. Whereas, Omega 3 fatty acids supplanting the excess of Omega 6 acids from tissues and reducing its reactivity with enzymes suppress the inflammation.
The influence of Omega 3 acids on individual systems:
The circulatory system:
Omega 3 acids play the irreplaceable role for the circulatory system. They reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases. They improve coronary diseases prevention. When regularly consumed, they lower the risk of secondary and primary heart attacks even by 42%! Additionally, they:
- prevent cardiac arrhythmias;
- may prevent atrial fibrillation in case of a heart attack;
- guard against atherosclerosis;
- have the ability to dilute blood reducing its viscosity and lowering its excessive clotting;
- prevent against adherence of blood cells to damaged blood vessel walls, by which they prevent blood clots and congestions, reducing the risk of ischemic strokes of older people;
- guard against the arterial walls hardening preventing against inflammatory processes;
- they are necessary for proper transportation of lipids, they lower the level of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the level of good cholesterol (HDL), reducing the atherosclerosis development, they bring back the balance in case of cholesterol metabolism disorders;
- stabilize elevated arterial blood pressure, they decrease the heart rate and improve heart rate variability;
- help to prevent against thrombocytopenia, which refers to the reduction of the number of blood platelets protecting against: hemorrhagic diathesis, tendencies for bleeding and haemorrhages as well as bleeding stopping disorders;
- improve functions of macro and micro circulation in patients with type 2 diabetes;
- stimulate blood circulation in people with varicose increasing the fibrin breakdown (the substance taking part in the blood coagulation process);
- constitute an effective tool against a serious illness of myeloid leukaemia. (Currently, medicines do not effect a total recovery from this disease, and they exclusive prolong the patient’s life. Ground-breaking tests on animals give hope that multi-dimensional operation of Omega 3 to combat leukaemia will be finally scientifically proved.);
- recent research revealed that Omega 3 acids lower mortality rate of persons with sepsis and septic shock.
Our brain is built in 60% of fatty acids, 25% of which refer to Omega 3 acids. That is why, Omega 3 acids are crucial for a proper functioning of the central nervous system. They improve blood supply to the brain and enhance nervous communication between the grey and white substances. To a considerable degree, they account for the efficiency of thinking, comprehension, memorizing as well as they improve concentration, focusing and creativity! Omega 3 acids protect the central nervous system as well as alleviate numerous neurologic diseases. Additionally, they:
- improve blood supply to the brain and enhance sending the nerve signals;
- reduce nerve damage which often results in stiffening and trembling;
- protect against nerve damage in people with diabetes and multiple sclerosis;
- help cure degenerative Parkinson’s disease ;
- enhance wellbeing by increasing the level of serotonin – a neurotransmitter affecting positively our wellbeing;
- allow older people to keep clear-headed, as well as reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia;
- complement the treatment of mental health problems: schizophrenia, dyslexia, dyspraxia, autism, depression as well as mania in bipolar distractions;
- enhance the effects of antidepressant medication and reduce mood swings in a sick person;
improve health conditions in persons with epilepsy;
- positively affect the growth and development of the brain and the whole nervous system of the foetus, which has a positive influence on the intellect and creativity;
- stimulate proper motor development of the infant.
The digestive system:
Omega 3 acids are crucially important for properly functioning metabolism. They perform a key function in affecting metabolic processes as well as systems regulating biochemical changes in cells and tissues. They have relaxant and cholepoietic effects, whereas, thanks to anti-inflammatory properties and they alleviate intestine inflammations. They:
- protect against gastric and duodenal ulcer diseases;
- help in the treatment of inflammatory gastrointestinal diseases: enteritis, gastric and duodenal ulcer diseases;
- strengthen, hydrate, seal and regenerate gastrointestinal mucosa;
help combat constipation;
- prevent the formation of bile stones and dissolve the existing ones;
increase the rate of metabolism and enhance fatty tissue burning processes simultaneously preventing against its accretion;
- prevent diabetes (persons with diets rich in Omega 3 acids demonstrate fewer incidences of diabetes even by 33%);
- have insulin resistance reversing effects, which is important in diabetes combating;
- reduce the frequency of incidences of pancreatic and colorectal cancers;
- Used in the therapy of chronic hepatitis C.
The skeletal system:
We need Omega 3 acids to have healthy bones. Omega 3 acids facilitate the absorption of calcium into the bone tissue increasing bones’ strength. They protect against arthritis, alleviate pains and stiffness accompanying rheumatic diseases. They:
- alleviate symptoms of degenerative joint disease, rheumatoid arthritis, as well as other skeletal and joint disorders;
- facilitate the liquidation of the chronic inflammation processes;
- increase the efficiency of anti-inflammatory drugs;
- reduce bone resorption (bone loss) complementing osteoporosis prevention and treatment. Research has shown that the excess of Omega 6 fatty acids in relation to Omega 3 fatty acids causes increased bone resorption stimulation.
The immune system:
Omega 3 acids ensure a proper functioning of the immune system regulating the level of cytokines, whose increased level makes the organism more vulnerable to many diseases. Omega 3 acids increase natural immunity and prevent against:
- chronic inflammations;
- self-aggression of the immune system;
The respiratory system:
Omega 3 acids reduce ailments stemming from respiratory diseases: asthma and airborne allergies as well as they:
- reduce the risk of developing pneumonia or cancer;
- in patients with cystic fibrosis they reduce inflammations and protect against mucous overproduction;
- eliminate inflammations of the upper respiratory tract;
- have positive effects on lung functioning in sports people (they reduce oxygen uptake during exercises).
The genitourinary system:
Omega 3 acids have very good effects in prostate cancer prevention – in case of men, and in breast and uterus cancers prevention– in case of women. Additionally, they demonstrate also an inhibiting influence on the growth of the already developed cancer and its metastases. Omega 3 acids may be helpful in prevention against kidney transplantation rejection (tests in progress). They have a tremendous significance for women as they:
- demonstrate a positive influence on menstrual cycles (they block prostaglandins released during the menstruation period increasing its abundance);
- reduce menstrual cramps pains;
- prevent infertility caused by the polycystic ovary syndrome;
- increase the probability of successful implantation of in vitro fertilized ova;
- reduce the risk of mental retardation and development of mental diseases in unborn children;
- prevent a premature delivery (the risk drops even by 50%);
- reduce the risk of postnatal depression developing;
- alleviate side effects of hormone replacement therapy;
- alleviate menopausal symptoms (they have positive effects on healthy heart, breasts, and bones. They reduce mood swings. They decrease vaginal dryness. The enhance skin and hair condition. They reduce joint pains and eye dryness as well as hot flashes.).
Omega 3 acids are crucial for proper eye development, that is why their deficiency may result in serious eyesight impediments. They protect the eye nerve cells, preventing against macular degeneration (the main cause for loss of eyesight in case of older people). Additionally, they are indispensible in treating dry eye syndrome.
Skin, hair, nails:
Omega 3 acids improve skin condition, firm it, and even smooth wrinkles. They may be also applied externally. They:
- help combat atopic dermatitis, psoriasis and acne;
- heal decubitus ulcers, sores and boils;
- accelerate epidermis and dermis regeneration;
- help in the hair loss prevention therapy;
- stimulate healthy hair growth;
- accelerate burns healing;
- strengthen nails and protect them against splitting and breaking.