Coconut oil constitutes an effective alternative to commercial oral hygiene products containing chemical additives as well as sulphates and fluorides. It does not only prevent decay, but also considerably enhances health condition of the entire mouth and inhibits the growth of the majority of bacterial strains and yeast. It is very important, taking into consideration a “standard diet of our times”: namely, a poor diet consisting mainly from processed food and sugar, establishing perfect conditions for the growth of harmful microorganisms. It is important to use unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil – it is abundant in nutrients!
See below for the recipe for non-toxic toothpaste:
- Coconut oil (1/4 glass)
- Baking soda (1/2 glass)
- Xylitol (4-5 spoonfuls)
- Organic mint or clove oil (ca. 1 spoonful)
Mix baking soda and xylitol with coconut oil until the mass is homogenous. Add a trace of mint oil for a refreshing flavour. And your toothpaste is ready!
Why such ingredients?
This is a key ingredient of the home-made toothpaste due to its properties:
- It is antibacterial and antifungal. Thanks to the caprylic acid content, it effectively combats strains of Candida albicans yeast and Streptococcus mutans, which are the main cause of decay.
- When regularly used, it keeps gums in a good condition eliminating bleeding and pain.
- Recent research has shown that it has decay inhibiting properties and it is even able to revert carious lesion!
Baking soda is used for 3 fundamental reasons:
- It constitutes a splendid, and simultaneously gentle abrasive material, which ensures a gentle cleaning.
- It provides alkaline environment, which neutralizes acids produced by mouth microorganisms causing fermentation and decay processes in the mouth being one of carious lesion reasons.
- It absorbs smells which is advantageous for fresh breath.
- It demonstrates anti-decay effects, facilitates the removal of dental plague and promotes enamel mineralization
- Dissolved in saliva it is alkaline, which blocks the growth of harmful bacteria.
- It inhibits fermentation processes.
You may successfully use a healthy antiperspirant to clean your teeth
It is not a joke – see here for the recipe!